Where to Register a Death

Appointments must be made at the Registrar’s office of the district where the death occurred. Appointments may be made online at www.somerset.gov.uk/births-marriages-deaths/registry-offices

North Somerset

The Town Hall, Walliscote Grove Road, WsM, BS23 1UJ
tel: 01934 427552

Sedgemoor & Burnham on Sea

Morgan House, Mount Street, Bridgwater, TA6 3ER tel: 01278 422527


The Old Council House, Corn Street, Bristol, BS1 1JG
tel: 0117 9222800


Southmead Hospital, Brunel Building, Bristol, BS10 5NB.
tel: 0117 9038888


The Old Municipal Buildings, Corporation St, Taunton, TA1 4AQ
tel: 01823 282251

The Registrar will require the following information before they can register a death.

  • Full name and home address of the deceased
  • Date and place of birth
  • Date and place of death
  • Last occupation
  • Marital status
  • If there is a widow or widower, they will want to know their full name, address and last occupation.

The Registrar will issue you with a green certificate which needs to be delivered to us as soon as possible. They will also issue you with a “Notification of Death” form, which you will need to fill in and send to the Department of Work and Pensions. For a small charge, the Registrar will issue “Copies of the Entry”, (copies of the death certificate). These will be required by banks, insurance companies, private pensions and the Probate Office.

Registrar’s 'Tell Us Once' Service

Tell Us Once is a service that lets you report a death to most government organisations in one go.
Your local registrar will have given you a unique reference number to access the Tell Us Once service online or by phone. You’ll need the deceased’s:

  • Date of birth
  • National Insurance number
  • Driving licence number
  • Passport number
  • Details of any benefits or entitlements they were getting, eg State Pension
  • Details of any local council services they were getting, eg Blue Badge
  • Name and address of their next of kin
  • Name, address and contact details of the person or company dealing with their estate (property, belongings and money), known as their ‘executor’ or ‘administrator’

Organisations Tell Us Once will contact

Tell Us Once will notify:

  • HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) - to deal with tax and cancel benefits
  • Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) - to cancel benefits, eg income support
  • Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) - to cancel a driving licence
  • Passport Office - to cancel a passport
  • The local council - to cancel housing benefit, council tax benefit, a Blue Badge, inform council housing services and remove the person from the electoral register